Thursday, August 28, 2008

Maybe I could be a little more tactful

Both these incidents happened today...and really, at the time, I meant no offense. They were simple observations. So, does Z just need a thicker skin, or do I need to fine-tune my diplomacy skills with my dear hubby?

Z: (singing "Twinkle, twinkle, little star")
Me: Wow, Bran's voice is almost deeper than yours!

This was merely pointing out how deep our little man's voice is, I didn't mean Z was a soprano or anything. Gee whiz...

Later, as my handsome and getting-more-ripped-everyday hubby is changing...

Me: Hon! You have a 4-pack!
Z: (looking at me meanly) Thanks.
Me: But that's good! It's better than no pack. Wait, if you count your boobs it's a six-pack!
Z: You don't count boobs.

Again, just pointing out something GOOD. Man, you'd think he was a girl sometimes, how personally he takes some stuff... hmmmm...somehow I think that statement might offend him...

Note: I did clear this post with him. How tactless would that be??? just putting it out there for everyone to see without his go-ahead...I'm not a Neanderthal, after all. (Oh boy, did I just offend them? If those Geico commercials are anywhere close to the truth, maybe I should get a lawyer...Dad, what's your schedule like...?)

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi F and Z and N and B, Fiona, my schedule is pretty full, but, to ease your mind, truth is always a good defense. Z does deserve a medal for being such a good sport.
At least he doesn't have a soft-pack or is that a round-pack?
Love you all, Dad

foculbrown said...

Open mouth...
insert foot.

I do that all the time. Thank goodness we are around people who love us.

At least his stomach doesn't look like a keg. :)

Julie said...

That's funny! I would have said the same observations of Mike- IF Jonah's voice was lower than his or IF he had a 4 pack!!! But Mike is not sensitive or emotional AT ALL. I guess, just enjoy that your husband has feelings and try to think ahead. But if you don't, try a sincere "sorry"- That works with over-sensitive me.

Rochelle said...

Fiona....you are stick thin and never seem to gain an ounce....that can be hard on people. In defense of Z...I think he's absolutely perfect! And the fact that he SINGS to his kids is totally COOL! Way to go Z! By the way I love your stories and the way you present conversations....Very Funny! You guys are the BEST!

fiona said...

I agree, Z is pretty perfect :) And I wouldn't change him, I'm not a big fan of 6-packs anyway. And ha! His stomach looks way better than mine! I don't much care how he looks, as long as he's healthy, but see, I was complimenting him about seeing results from working out, and it just come out wrong. He really didn't mind...so he says...He's a good daddy, Bran always says, "ma, ma, ma" (for "more") when Z stops singing. We just hafta work on expanding his song database to keep up with demand.

Yeah, apologizing's always good, Julie! Back rubs help too, I've noticed.

Tara said...

hmm, those comment were a little harsh, but you'd think Zac would be used to stuff like that by now...

Sutton Family said...

I do that kind of stuff to Wade all the time, as well. Fortunatly he doesn't hold it against me too often- only when he's looking for leverage to get away with something else.

Sutherlands said...

I've always like the "inner tube" myself... :)