Friday, June 27, 2008

Why a pet monkey would be handy...

We took the kids to Outdoor World yesterday, a big sporting goods store with loads of taxidermied animals (which is sad, but still fun to see. "Oh! Look at the dead cougar, Nuala!"). Also, there are fun little "ponds" and "streams" with catfish, etc., swimming around. AND, there are ATVs and 4-wheelers and stuff like that planted around that the kiddos like to sit on. Well, Bran has this key obsession, and Granny was nice and/or foolish enough to indulge it while he was perched on one. We'll go with "nice" ;) She handed them over, and shoop! Down they went through a seam into the engine. The panic on her face as she called me over was great! Okay, not at the time, it was actually somewhat worrisome. But after I realized Bran was fine, I could appreciate the situation more. Man...moms never get a break.

It was actually kind of funny, just because whenever my family gets together, we tend to find really dumb things humorous. Honestly it can be a bit embarrassing at times, but at least we have fun. I'm sure many families are like that and y'all know what I mean. Hmm...there's also the "Ricker clump," but that's a different weirdness for another time. So anyway, they had to call over a fellow who worked the department, and we were all envisioning him having to take apart the whole ATV there on the floor, but really he just had to take it a little bit apart. He was very nice, although he may have doubted our sincere apologies for the trouble, since Mom, Aislinn, and I were all trying hard not to giggle. He didn't even mind when Granny plunked Bran back on so we could take a picture of the little key-fiend with the store guy. Bran wasn't too thrilled about that. He was, however, thrilled to see the keys again, and acted like he deserved to have them back. As if! Granny had learned her lesson.

And here we have Maire and Rowan sticking their fingers in a poor dead zebra's nose. Aine wished he had a third nostril. Yes, the hilarity is never ending...


(Well, goodness. Now that I wrote all that out, it doesn't sound as intense and funny as it was at the time. You'll have to just trust me. It was. And if we had that pet monkey, he coulda fished those keys right outta there! I'm going to look into that.)

4 comments:

Tara said...

Very awesome! I love how much Mom and Dad love to take people there. Marcus and I had to go there one night because Mom and Dad had to go to their temple assignment, and they didn't want to leave us alone in the house (since we weren't married yet...). I love the zebra picture, it made me think of a picture I have of you grabbing the David's rear end in Florence...Also, I love the Ricker clump...

Tara said...

I just realize how much I used the word love in my post. I'm really tired right now, I guess my vocabulary is more limited based on that...

Rob and Erin said...

That's a good excuse Tara, but don't try to use it too often haha!

I can totally picture you three laughing your heads off, thinking you're being discreet, or some of you thinking that ;) What a wonderfully fun time! So sad to be missing it! Poor Zebra, but I'm sure he's had worse to deal with. Rowan is getting so big! What cute cousins!!! Thanks for posting, it's priceless.

heidi and Doug said...

hahahah it would be even better we could get you a taxidermied Monkey for the twins or a Gorilla that would be great!