Saturday, June 28, 2008

8 years

That's right. We have been married for 8 years now! Can you believe it? Seems like just yesterday........ (oh yeah, flashback time)

Fall 1999: My junior year at BYU. 20 years old and planning on going on a mission the next summer when I turned 21. I really enjoyed dating and having fun with lots of different guys and never wanted to get serious with anyone, but decided I should just to "try it out" before I went on a mission. Zachariah was turning 22 and had been off his mission almost a year. He did not enjoy dating and had vowed to not get serious with anyone because he was working a ton, etc., etc. Obviously, we were the perfect match.

We happened to be in an International Politics class together. Zachariah says he saw me the very first day and thought, "Wow. She is the most beautiful girl I've ever seen...I could marry someone like her!" Sweet, huh? He decided to rethink the previously-mentioned vow. I didn't notice him. Honestly,the first day I had my eye on the back of some dude's head that I thought was a fellow things hadn't ended well with the year before. Luckily, it wasn't him. Anyway, one day I went in and sat down, and was about to break out my little bag of chocolate covered peanuts from the BYU candy counter when this guy was suddenly standing beside me. He said something smooth, along the lines of, "I met you on Sunday. We're in the same ward." And so we were. I thought he was a different guy, but after making him take off his ever-present baseball cap and seeing that gorgeous, wavy red hair, I remembered meeting him and his roommate Stan. Z was very quiet that whole meeting. Later he told me that he thought I was the same girl from class but wasn't positive until he saw the guy-attracting mole on my neck. Thank goodness for that mole...

So he sat beside me, which honestly was really irritating because, although his good looks won him many points, I was NOT going to share my bag of chocolate covered peanuts. Miserly me had to wait till after class to indulge. Also, he wanted to study with me, and I hated studying with people. I found it much more effective to study alone. But, like I said, he was cute, so I made an exception. And then he insisted on always sitting by me! What the...? I didn't mind after a while ;) He went on my list of "possible boys to become serious with." Lucky for him, he progressed the fastest. I know we were meant to be because he kept asking me out just baaaarely before one of my other high-on-the-list "possibles" would.

We officially began dating in November '99, and he told me he loved me right before Thanksgiving. Actually, he said,"I think I'm falling in love with you." I told him, "I'm sorry." Like he had told me he thought he had the flu or something. Soooo romantic. Then he went to Scotland with my roommate. Okay, and his roommates, too, but I was saving my $$ (mission, remember?). THEN, right before Christmas, he used the exact words, "I love you," and I told him, in a semi-angry voice, "You don't even know me! I can be really mean! Blah, blah, blah!" (Even more romantic. But he can never say I didn't warn him.) After Christmas break, when I missed him terribly but still had no plans to get more serious, he had the nerve to say, "What do you think about getting married?" Talk about being caught off-guard! I had been thinking about the best time to break up with him and had decided on a few weeks later, after a ski trip to Sun Valley that was in the works. But I surprised myself by saying I'd pray about it, certain what my answer would be. Then I surprised myself even more by realizing I loved him, and FINALLY told him. THEN, I surprised myself even more several days later by feeling very right about marrying him and Boom! We were ENGAGED at the end of January. Ironically, only a day or two before I was going to go talk to the bishop about starting the mission process.

And we had ups and downs, of course, but ended up at the Dallas Temple on June 28, 2000, where we were sealed for time and all eternity. And we still have ups and downs, but I wouldn't want them with any other man. I love you, Zachariah! You are the most wonderful husband and father to our babies. I love sharing adventures and laughter with you, and all the other stuff that life throws our way! Here we are on our wedding day, so very long ago. It's a scan, so don't mind what looks like dandruff on Z's coat, or the slice across my neck. You can see my helpfully identifying mole. (Which, I maintain, would be called a beauty mark if I were a supermodel and it was planted on my face.)

Happy Anniversay, Hon! I love you!!

14 comments:

Tara said...

Aww, very cute story...poor Zac, I didn't realize he had been warned about you but still married you! Happy Anniversary! That's a really long time...

Carolyn said...

Very funny. It totally looks like Bran would love to climb down. I think I would have panicked about the keys too. I think "nice" works best. I remember getting Julie in trouble for encouraging her to climb out of her crib. hmmm... I still feel bad about that.

I totally remember that Christmas and I totally remember talking about the mission/marriage debate(No, Zachariah, you didn't catch her completely off guard. You have made her so happy and I am grateful she has someone as amazing as you. )

Sutton Family said...

8 years! Congratulations! and I think they're beauty marks even if they're located on the bottom of your foot.

RondaJo said...

Congratulations!!

Megan and Greg said...

Man, I seem to remember Zac telling me that it took some work to get you to marry him, but I thought he was joking! haha Good job Zac!! Can't wait to see you guys! Congratulations to you both!!
--Greg

Rob and Erin said...

Happy Anniversary! Wow, how romantic that he flew in to be with you right on your anniversary date!!! You guys are perfect for each other. What fun hearing the story again, I'm sorry you had to wait through a whole class for those chocolate covered peanuts. It was worth it though, huh?!

Cara said...

Congrats! And on Zanders b-day!

zachariah said...

Misquoted yet again, when I first saw Fiona I did think she was the most beautiful girl, and not that I COULD marry someone like her, but that I WOULD marry her if I met her. And I did the next day... meet her that is.

Megan and Greg said...

Wow, Zach looks so different! Just really young, I suppose. Fiona, you look exactly the same. What a nice thing to be able to say, huh? You guys have the most beautiful kids. We love to read all about them on your blog. We can't wait for the reunion!
-Megan

Rochelle said...

Congratulations! Still crazy after all these years. You guys look great and your life is such an adventure. May you have many more years!

zachariah said...

Thanks Megan, guess I'm just an old fogey... looking forward to seeing ya'll too!

Dan said...

Enjoy it.
It goes by fast.
Uncle D

Molly said...

oh I loved this story! :) I remember Zack around this time of his life and how sour he was on the whole "dating" thing. Then all of a sudden he met "this girl" at BYU and wanted to marry her and how it all went over (the quick part). haha... I was graduating HS this year.

To think back on our thoughts when we first met our spouses. It's pretty funny.

Anonymous said...

What a story, I was completely entertained and nail-biting my way thru the entire thing!! I loved it!