Sunday, September 18, 2011

Hauling the Trio, or "my, what a muscle-y husband I have!"

We decided to dust off the ol' bicycles and go for a family ride a couple of weeks ago. Seriously, we've not ridden bikes the WHOLE time we've been here. I just had it in my mind that our street was a cruddy bike-riding street... Maeve had been too little for the bike seat... it was wintertime... etc., etc. But, now she's plenty big enough, the road's fine, and, best of all, both the attachments for connecting seats/trailers were already on Z's bike! Score! HE got to ride all the kids around while I just tooled along, solo, on my bike. (Now, in fairness to me, my bike HAD had an attachment for the other green bike seat, since we had two for N and B, but we lent one to our friends and Z happened to pick the one on my bike to remove. Score! did I already say that?)

Bran and Nuala each weigh 46lbs., and Maeve is almost 22. That's 114lbs. of little people to haul... UPhill. But not the whole way, because that whole "uphill both ways" thing? Myth. I will admit to laughing at his situation as I flitted, carefree and graceful and light (but less furry) as a baby unicorn, back and forth. Good thing Z is so super strong. Like a big tough male unicorn. Swift Wind. (If you're saying to yourself, "that sounds sooo familiar..." I'll just help you out. He's She-Ra's noble, flying steed.)

I'm pretty sure we've only used the bike trailer once... maybe twice? We got it when we moved to lovely Uruguay, when Bran and Nuala were babies. We didn't really like how you buckled them in, or how we felt like a car was totally going to run over the trailer, or how they slumped in it (even when they were old enough to not really slump). In Uruguay we were riding along streets that were fairly well-trafficked, hence my car nervousness (Uruguayan drivers are not the best... not the worst, either, but not the best). Nuala and Bran didn't even really like the trailer. They (and we) much preferred the green seats. This time, though, they really enjoyed it. Now they're huge, have a better view, and are old enough to really appreciate taking advantage of getting a ride without having to do any work.
Maeve was bossy, as usual. "Dis way, Dada!"
Despite Zachariah's major toughness, small breaks were necessary. We rode on some pretty trails near our house. Even out to the Boyana movie studio (where Z "starred" in Spiders 3D... something I still need to post about).
Bran and Nuala were so grateful for the fun ride that they really went out of their way to make it as easy as possible on Z. Haha... (See the back tire? See the foot ON the back tire?)
Rascals! These rascals actually have their very own bikes on the way. It finally sunk in that they're going to be five (five!) in three months and have most definitely outgrown their little wooden balance bikes. I just wish there was Craigslist, or good garage sales or thrift stores here. At least we found them on sale.

7 comments:

Tara said...

Oh, Marc doesn't like posts like these, because it gives me more fodder...now when he complains about riding T around the neighborhood I can just bust out a Zac comparison...(in his defense, our bike is on the lame-o side). I love all the pictures, I was laughing about that little foot on Z's back wheel! And holy cow, I can't believe they're coming up on 5 either! That is crazy.

Aislinn said...

Wow, look at that strong husband you have! Way to go, Zac! The pic of the foot on the back wheel made me laugh so hard...ungrateful little whelps, LOL. Love the pic of Maeve directing Zac on the adventure and the last pic of the twins is great! Both smiling so nicely...not a funny face in sight! LOL

Rob and Erin Smith said...

Oh, fun!! And super strong Z! Nice job! The Green seat looks so comfy, I totally love Maeve pointing pic too. The twins are getting so big! 5, yowza :0) Oh, Fiona, they are so beautiful! What gorgeous, fun kiddos. Hahahaha! I lOVE the little foot on the tire, hee hee! Come on, post the Spiders one! I've been waiting on that for over a year!!!

David said...

We love the pics too and the coolness of the weather to allow such wonderful activities... tho' we shouldn't complain: it rained yesterday, and we walked and ran in it (for our regular morning walk, I mean)... children played in the puddles while it rained heavily (poor young tykes ... prob didn't remember what rain puddles looked like). Your little rascals are having fun ... good think Z's so strong ... your day is comin' too F ... when Z's at work and the nice autumn-y weather is beckoning... oh, yes, B's foot on the wheel is very hahahahaha!!! Thanks for sharing ... love, Mom (Dad too) xox

Sutton Family said...

That is awesome! I loved the picture of the little foot on the tire! heeheeehee... sigh- gotta love kids and the dads that tote them around!

Shannon said...

I think that the kids are old enough for a trail-a-bike so they can help Zac pedal.

http://www.trail-a-bike.com/products/trail-a-bikes/folder-tandem/

It's a lot of money to spend for only a few rides a year. I want to get this when we have a kid who can ride a bike:

http://www.tandem-bicycle-central.com/images/the-mos-santana-triplet-21226346.jpg

I'll even make everyone the santa outfits--LOL.

Mike said...

Wow, pulling 2 and hauling 1, I am major impressed! You can carry my pack next year if you want...