Monday, March 21, 2011

mini skiers

Since it's already OFFICIALLY spring (why in the world was it snowing this morning?!), it's only right that I should post these wintry pictures of Bran and Nuala skiing. Look how pretty the drive up the mountain to their ski school was. And it was even prettier after fresh snow.

They took 5 days of classes, about 4 hours a day, with an hour for lunch. They were pooped. They were the only two little English speaking students that week, so they had their own private class. That was a fiasco. The office lady was giving us the "group class" rate since we didn't request private classes, even though you had to have three kiddos to qualify. The group rate is significantly less than private lessons. As in, 5 days of group lessons was about the same price as 2 days of private lessons. It was really, really fun to work out since the office lady hadn't informed the money-taking lady what the deal was. And when the money-taking lady heard the deal, she wasn't thrilled. We didn't even know we were getting the group vs. private rate. She had just told us how much we were to pay and when I tried to pay it... bleh. It worked out, though, after many, many phone calls.
They had a nice young fellow, Martin, as their instructor. A Bulgarian, but he spoke perfect English, and actually had lived in Ireland for a little while. In fact, he's about to move back there, to Mullingar, very close to where my mom's from and where most of her fam still lives. We always go to church there when we're visiting. Small world.
This bear statue along the road up the mountain is a favorite of theirs. Without fail, they ALWAYS ask for the story of Medusa. I could spit that out in my sleep. Bran was worried at first that the bear had fallen victim to the snakey-haired lady and was relieved to find that wasn't the case. I don't think it is anyway... ;)
The first day of their class I got stuck in a snow drift after dropping the tykes off. Lame. Luckily a couple of nice ladies who had been dogsledding hooked me up to their Subaru and pulled my big ol' Explorer right outta there.
Their last day, Z took off work so he could spend the whole time with them.
They had to bend down and touch their skis to help keep everything in line... stay low and centered...
Then they could stand up and stick their little arms straight out. Like zombie skiers.
Cool dudes. Nuala had a huge crush on Martin. She told me she wanted to marry him. Unfortunately for her, she also overheard me relay that to him. Oops. Apparently she's old enough to be embarrassed by revelations like that, but still young enough to quickly forget.
Walking sideways up the hill. Nuala's a toughie. One day, when they both were super whiny about staying because of a crazy-morning-getting-out-and-Martin-couldn't-be-there-and-the-new-instructor-couldn't-find-their-boots/skis-that-we-had-left-and-they-had-to-use-the-school's, etc., etc., I ended up hanging out for a while. Nuala un-whinied herself and charged right in... tromping up the hill, going down, tromping back up again. Bran did not. He was plain old lazy. He would head up the hill and then collapse, as Nuala zipped past him.
Finally I had to ditch, to huge screams from Bran. Huge, blood-curdling, irrational screams. It was most awesome. I watched the little heads of almost all the other children (two big buses full of them...and a small bus) swivel around to see what the heck was happening to the little American boy. I felt sorry for their instructor for the day, but she was a trooper and I knew he'd suck it up once I was gone. And he did.
Making a "pizza slice" with her skis. They (even Bran, despite his ski-laziness) were actually pretty good little skiers. They definitely got their fill of it for the year, though.
It's a tough life. I went to pick them up one day and only found Bran and Martin frolicking in the snow. Apparently there was a lot of frolicking. Something about short attention spans? ;) Anyway, turns out Nuala had started to fall asleep lying in the snow, so Martin took her back to the buildings and she was snoozing away in a ski instructor's bed. When we all trooped in to collect her, she woke up but pretended to still be asleep and heard Martin call her "Sleeping Beauty." You can bet that was a highlight of her day.
Here's a long video that Z put together of their skiing exploits. I think overall they enjoyed ski school, though they don't want to go back anytime soon.

6 comments:

pauline said...

Oh that looks like fun! ... and it also looks like it was hard work some of the time, esp the side-stepping up the hill! I can see why the little rascals'd be tired ... imagine N conking out on the snow... she must've been REALLY worn out! Of course Bran wanted you to stay that day ... isn't it amazing how little ones can change their tune when Mom is not actually there to respond to the "tantrum." I love the drive up the mountain, and the BIG bear statue. Z did a good job on the video ... it's great :) I loved the whole thing! Thanks for sharing :) Love, Mom (Dad too) xox

Tara said...

Awesome! I think it is so cool that they are learning how to ski so young. The video is so cute, it does look like hard work. That's a lot of skiing for little ones. Lol, poor Nuala, that was sooooo mean of you to tell Martin that she wanted to marry him!

gin said...

Fiona, I love your blog!!
Looks like your sweet family is having awesome experiences that they will never forget. I also see that you still love to play basketball...umm, me too! If you ever visit and need an extra person to play...let me know. :)

Aislinn said...

I can see why they were wiped out at the end of every day! Whew! That looks like hard work and they look like they were troopers for the most part. I'm LOL at Bran and his meltdown...poor little American boy! ;) It surely was mean of you to spill Nuala's secret to Martin...now she'll never trust you with her innermost secrets again! ;) (Just kidding...she probably forgot all about it the next day, huh?) Fun times...they look so grown up! I can't really imagine Rowan doing that...he's too little! <3

Cindy said...

They did SO awesome. What a great opportunity for them to learn this skill at such an early age. Great film clip too!

Rob and Erin Smith said...

Awesome! Brigit and Colin were standing here watching the whole video with me. They loved it and they want to go skiing now too, shockingly. They were very impressed, so am I. That does look like a lot of hard work! They look so natural too, especially Nuala getting her upper body into steering and all. So cool!!! Hahaha, Bran, "that was not a wipe out!" He's so cute! I can't believe you spilled the crush in front of her! Talk about Mortifying...poor Nuala, and Brigit wishes someone would call her sleeping Beauty, although she insists she does not have a crush on anyone right now. Wait, I just asked her again, and she said, "oh, I have a crush on Bran, right?" like she just remembered and now Colin's saying he does too... hmm...don't worry, Brigit just told him he had to have a crush on Nuala, yeah, I'll go help them work it out.... Love this post!!