Thursday, September 03, 2009

Kyustendil

So, several weeks ago we took a little trip to Kyustendil. It's a town about an hour, hour and a half away with some Roman fortress ruins and a nice little pedestrian area, etc. It was such a pretty drive, on little hilly roads past mountains! Small-ish mountains, but still, mountains. Here are some pictures... And YES, it was a few weeks back. Our internet is not as reliable as we would like. Makes it heck to keep up with blogging... I think it's starting to get better. I guess Z calling them every other day and them promising to check things out may pay off. Just maybe. Anyway, the pics!
I just get slightly giddy at signs like this... I mean, we can drive to ATHENS!
These little platforms are all over the place on street corners. I need to find out why. No one's ever inside them.
In the main plaza in Kyustendil. Bran went decked out with his "arm shields" (toilet paper tubes) and his knight "helmy casco" ("helmet" and "casco" is helmet in Spanish. That's what they call 'em.)
How dang cute are these two?? This is the picture I put on the header...obviously. Because, look! They're BOTH smiling!!
Then we found a nice playground to play at for a while. NO wooden slides. Our playing was cut short by Nuala's need to pee. Her very first public public potty break. Where we had to frantically search for a toilet and thankfully found one in time! Ahhh, sweet success.
Heading to the Roman fortress ruins. Bran ready to fight dragons.
This hug turned dangerous as they both got a little wrestly and, as happens, wobbly on the slightly steep stairs. We rescued them in time.
There were lots of lizards at the ruins, so those "baby dragons" were fun to chase. We didn't really get any good pictures of the fortress...or of the awesome hamburger thing I had in Kyustendil. Or of the deeeeelicious ice cream cones... or of the guy selling people the chance to weigh themselves on his scale. What an entrepreneur. But, we had fun!

8 comments:

Tara said...

Fun! I love all the pictures, cute that Bran was so decked out and ready to fight the dragons. I love Nuala's cute ponytail! Glad you rescued them from the stairs in time ;)

pauline said...

Hi there ... it all looks so nice and "old country-y" ... did you go by bus? you don't have your car yet ... TP tubes! good thing Bran's hands are still small enough to fit thru such awesome armshields :) and that he was able to use his sword and shield to scare off the lizards!!! It's nice that they are old enough now to smile at the same time ... they look so cute holding hands. Nuala's hair seems to be much longer than when she was here 2 months ago. I had a nice time and some LOL with this blog ... thanks for working around your temperamental internet! Love you all... Mom (Dad too) xox

Sutton Family said...

I just have to say, Nuala has the cutest pony tail. and it looks gorgeous over there.

heidi and Doug said...

oh Man how much FUN those two are soooo cute I Love brans toilet paper rolls !

Ben said...

I like the cyrillic writing on the street sign. I think that's what it is right?

Rochelle said...

Nice use for toilet paper rolls. I have to confess I have saved a bunch of these for some weird use. I thought they would make good party poppers. The ruins look fun. I love the signs. So cool you take pics of things I would. It looks like its warm there. Is it summer? Autumn?

Julie said...

I keep meaning to tell you that I love that header picture! Those cute smiles!
How exciting to be able to drive to Athens! We're going to do just that when we visit in a year or two!

Cara said...

HAha! I love that Bran has his fighting gear w him in most of the pictures!