Monday, November 05, 2007

Local pests!!

With spring on the southern hemisphere in full swing, and being in a somewhat tropical area the pests have started to come out of the walls, literally. It's almost everyday now that I'm called in to take care of a new roach that has found it's way into the bathroom just to attack Fiona. Fiona constantly talks my ear off about how gross they are, and worries constantly that Nuala or Bran will find one while exploring and decide to see what they taste like. After all, everything that fits in the mouth has to be eaten it seems. Not all the pests are such foul miscreants. One evening last week I opened the door to the garage and was met by a legless lizard, which actually eat roaches. Initially all I saw was a head, and I thought it was a snake. Stories I had heard while working in Africa over the last few years flashed through my head, one in particular of a Black Mamba which took up residence under the kitchen sink of a coworker of mine in Zimbabwe. Black Mambas are nasty, big, poisonous snakes. Anyways, my point is I have become very cautious about new insects, amphibians, and reptiles over the last couple of years and was a little nervous when I saw what looked like a snakehead poking out from under our as of yet unpacked boxes strewn about the garage. So back to the legless lizard. This is a rare find. They are nocturnal and usually live under the ground or leaves and loam so almost impossible to find. I'm not a bug collector or anything like that by any means, but I thought this was really cool. I always wanted to see one when I was a kid.

9 comments:

Andrew said...

Thats a little creepy Zac. Im suprised you have become so cautious since you used to make me chase lizards for you.

Molly said...

oooooh! that really looks like a snake though!

I have countless memories of tough-big-kid-Zach handling snakes and such. I do recall you also getting bit a few times too! heheh!

Hey didn't you keep geckos in your apt/dorm in Hawaii at college to rid of the roaches?

good luck with the pests!

JnR said...

Okay that's not a snake? could have fooled me!!! I don't think it would hurt one of the kids to eat a cockroach they do it all the time on Fear Factor!

Rochelle said...

I'm totally with Fiona...I hate cockroaches...I've never picked up a lizard before but that one looks like a snake and I'm scared of snakes. When you guys come home I bet you'll bring them all back with you in your stuff.

zachariah said...

I'm not saying I'm outright scared, just more cautious. There are a lot of things in some of the places I've been visiting for work that will kill you within minutes... good to be a little sure before you get too close to investigate.

Twinkies said...

Fiona has a right to be concerned the twins will eat one. Just ask my sister. My mom turned around to find one in her mouth when she was 9 months old. Yuck! I bet you'll get some fun spiders too.

Sutton Family said...

That thing looks so yucky- like a cross between an earthworm and a snake... eww. I don't mind roaches or spiders or things like that- but worms still terrify me. Gwen picked one up one day to show me and I totally was screaming at her to stay away- which made her scared and she's trying to run to me and I'm still screaming going the other way and etc etc. A third party friend had to intervene to rescue the worm and reunite Gwen and I.

Anonymous said...

That was very interesting indeed. Of course, I hate roaches, so I would like those little legless things...so they could eat them up (though it does look like a little snake). It is fun to see what the different seasons will bring as surprises! Love, Mom R (and Dad too) xox

Dan said...

Petty cool no legs, there must be a different between the snake and lizard. Wonder what that is?
Dan