Tuesday, September 11, 2007

Seattle and back again, a woeful travel nightmare

So my little brother got married last Saturday, the last of the Rollins' five to get hitched. I have burned a lot of leave this summer and we have another trip on the horizon in November and another wedding in December so I tried to make this a quick trip. Also, we couldn't afford to take the whole family and I didn't want to leave Fiona and the twins for long. I wanted to be in Seattle for 2-3 days, and so scheduled the flights to leave after work on Thursday arrive Friday morning and fly out of Seattle on Sunday morning to arrive Montevideo Monday morning. .. Well I made it to Buenos Aires, a short 40 minute flight from Montevideo, but on the wrong plane and in the wrong airport (not my fault, Aerolineas delayed the flight and put me on another flight promising me I would still make my flight out of Buenos)... I didn't make my flight out of Buenos. So, had to wait in Buenos 26 hours (including the almost 2 hours I spent between airports in Buenos) until the next flight. I made it to Seattle 24.5 hours late, about 2 hours before the wedding, just enough time to get to my parents house, and get ready for the wedding. The wedding went well, and I got to visit with family for a few minutes and then back to my parents to pack a few things and sleep and then back to the airport 23 hours after landing in Seattle. The flight back was uneventful, except they lost my two bags loaded down with wonderful Costco diapers and diaper wipes. On the way up to Seattle the airlines also lost two bags which were meant to fill up with said items. So, in sum I travelled 68 hours for a mere 23 hours in Seattle and lost 4 suitcases. It was all worth it to see my brothers wedding, and it was a beautiful, cloudless, warm day in the Pacific Northwest!!

6 comments:

Carolyn said...

Glad you made it to the wedding.

Molly said...

I still can't believe your trip! It was good to see you. I hope you get your precious diapers/wipes soon as well as your other lost luggage. Take care! m.

JnR said...

Wow! What a trip! I hope you get your luggage back, four suitcases is a lot! And I hope you get the diapers before the twins outgrow them!!!!

Ben said...

Your trip was nuts! It was good to see you though!

Anonymous said...

Unbelievable .... I guess one just has to go with the flow of life.... and be glad it wasn't a worse scenario. You must have been very tired ...physically, as well. Love ya.......

Molly said...

hey wanted to say, my mom and I both have picasa web albums with abe's pictures up. I don't have your email or I'd send you the addresses (ben told me not to post them live)

my email:
molly [at] mollybean [dot] com
my mom's new:
rockragiou [at] gmail [dot] com