Wednesday, May 30, 2012

Istanbul... again!

I know some of you (ahem, Mom) are waiting for an Ireland post, but this was in the queue and was almost finished, and I need to get it up.  Ireland is gettin' there... But, yes. We went to Istanbul again at the end of April.  For our last time...at least from here, where we can just drive 6 hours and be there.  Definitely one of the perks of this job and lifestyle!  This time we caravaned with/met up with two other families from church.  The Coopers and the Brownfield-Nordstroms.  It was a lotta fun.
Picture of the fam in front of the Blue Mosque.
 Nuala and Maeve waiting for breakfast.  These pictures are going to be sorta-in-order-but-sometimes-kinda-random... just because.
The Blue Mosque.
Aaaand, the Blue Mosque, this time with the Cooper family!
Nuala, getting closer to the Blue Mosque.
Maeve, waiting in line.
Inside!  It's really gorgeous in there.  As I've said before, not a whole lot to keep you occupied for long-ish periods of time, but very beautiful.  Kids love that it's somewhat quiet, despite the throngs of tourists, so their parents have to work hard trying to keep them entertained and behaving semi-decently. "Oooh, look at THAT mosaic! It looks like a spaceship!" (Even if it doesn't...)
 Cuteness.  Maeve and her lil' buddy, Ivy.
I really, really love this picture of them.
 Later I was trying to get some nice shots of Maeve by the tulips, when...
 India replayed itself!  This tour group just came sneaking up behind the unsuspecting little girlie...
...and swoop!  Posin' and a picture-takin' ensued.
Bran, Mia (Ivy's big sis), and Nuala.  
We took a little break from walking and sat by the Bosphorus. Or the Marmara. I'm not sure exactly where we were sitting.  But it was pretty and relaxing.
Oh, this is the Blue Mosque again.
And this is the Hagia Sophia, from the Blue Mosque benches.  They're right across from each other. The Hagia Sophia is amazing.  We've been in twice before and didn't get a chance this trip, sadly. But, the line was hugely long the last day there, and we were trying to get an early start back home, and (like I said) we'd seen it twice...  It was actually nice going here and not feeling rushed to see things, since, you know, we'd done it already.  It was really, really... um... nice.
 We took a little boat ride on the Bosphorus, too.  That was fun.
 The Brownfield-Nordstom family.  We'll miss them!  They're headed to Switzerland this summer. Poor them... ;)
Maeve and Claire, her other little buddy on the trip.  These three little girls are sooo cute together!
Bran's favorite part of the boat ride. The apple tea.  He probably had 4 or 5.  Mostly because he got a sugar cube with them.  The boy must be part horse. The apple tea there in Turkey is kinda like cider, and is really tasty. 
Pigeon chasing.
And... pigeon feeding.
Ice creams (from Burger King!)  I know, I know... but they hit the spot!
Young Turkish lads.
Ivy, Maeve, and Claire trying to entice one or two of the bazillion kitty cats to come over...
 These guys were selling treats, and Garrett (oldest Cooper boy) and Nuala were buyin' them. They would twirl the little stick through this taffy-life candy.. they were pretty, and pretty tasty.
The younger Cooper boys, Aidan and Jared, and Bran, Mia and Nuala.  Those two boys are the big kids in Primary at church, and the other kiddos just LOVE them.  
One of the bazillion kitty cats in Istanbul.
Another one.
 Z and the kids in front of the Hagia Sophia. There's not many pics of poor Z up here, so I thought we should throw him in... You hafta admit, he's pretty cute.
Maeve and Mia walking through the Grand Bazaar.
 Nuala at the Spice Bazaar.  Quite colorful there! We got a pepper grinder.
Bran, Nuala, and Jared by one of the biggest doner twirly things we saw.
Maeve and Jihad.  He was a waiter at a delicious restaurant/cafe we went to twice. It was gooood.  This picture is the one illustration I'll include of Maeve and her world-conquering skills.  I have lots of pictures, actually, of Maeve and her myriad of admirers.  But this post is too long already.  Jihad gave her a necklace, a keychain, and a bracelet.  He actually gave each of the kids a bracelet or something, but Maeve... well, she's small, and smiley, and chatty, and charming.  I know I sound braggy about her, but it's true. She's outgoing and friendly and super cute.  People fell for her. Especially the young men.  Which sounds creepy but it's not. 
 We went to the Cistern again.  I'll never get tired of that place. Super cool and eerie.
 Haha!  Really, though, just directing us to the Medusa-head statues.
 Bran and a cool building.
 Yummm... Eating watermelon!  I want some now. Or rather, a huge glass of water. I'm really thirsty.
 Bran sooooo badly wanted to swing on this man-powered spinny swing.  Luckily I dug up a lira and he had a go.  It was really cute, because it is not nearly the most exciting thing he's been on, but he just LOVED it.
 Tired Maeve.
 The Blue Mosque at night.  I think this is when we were eating (non-Burger King) ice cream. I got pistachio, but it didn't meet my expectations. Maeve's lemon one did, though, and her ice cream standards are lower than mine so she didn't mind trading.  Well, she didn't know she traded, or she might have had an issue just with the whole "mine!" principle.  Phew. It was gooood ice cream...
One of the best parts of the trip was... going to Church there on Sunday!  It was soooo much fun! Here is a pic of Bran, Mia, Nuala, and Maeve with Elder Huish. This is super cool because he was a missionary in our little branch here in Sofia.  Just recently, Turkey finally opened up to proselyting missionaries, and is now part of the Bulgaria Sofia Mission.  We sent over four elders to be the very first proselyting missionaries there (we'd had service missionaries already) and he was one of them! We love Elder Huish, so it was great to see him again.  The OTHER very cool part is that the Branch President there (the leader of the congregation) is my Turkish teacher from BYU from 11 years ago!  Murat Cakir.  This wasn't a surprise, because I'd mentioned to President and Sister Roth (the mission president and his wife), when we heard about Turkey opening up, that my Turkish teacher had translated the Book of Mormon into Turkish about 10 years earlier.  President Roth said, "Oh, President Cakir! He's now the branch president there in Istanbul!" So I friended him on Facebook and he knew we were coming and they brought extra food to the Branch potluck, etc, etc.  Anyway, long story short(er), we had a great time.  Pres. Cakir's wife is so nice, and it was fun catching up with her and seeing how big and awesome their kids are now.  The children had a great time in Primary, and the whole branch was friendly and just so nice. I'm really glad we went.  Driving in Istanbul's a pain.  Plus, there was a big bicycle race that the city closed some of the main streets for, but thanks to Zachariah's most awesome directional skills, we still made it.  On TIME even!
Bran got pooped on by a bird our last night there. He said, "oh, I thought it just rained on me!" Nope.
Nuala felt the urge to dance.
For the first time, we went into the tombs that are right by the Hagia Sophia. They were free, had no lines, and were a little out of the way so we hadn't seen them before.  They were pretty neat to go in. The buildings were beautiful, but it was kinda sad seeing all the little coffins there.  There were a few bigger ones, but sooo many small ones.  This tomb in particular said "Sultan Murad III, his wife Safiye Sultan, and his sons and daughters are buried here. Total 54 sarcopaghi."  So... I don't know. It sounds like the two of them had 54 children.  I'm thinking that's not really physically possible, coming from just the one wife. I mean, I guess it could happen, with the right combination of age, multiple births, etc... BUT, whether there were some of his children's children there, too, or maybe a lesser wife and all the combined children, it doesn't really matter.  There were just a LOT of small coffins... sarcopaghi... The ones with little turbans on them hold males, we're thinkin'.  Bran was really interested in all these tombs.
See? Beautiful buildings.
And see? Really interested.  And what small little fellow there were... :(
Another tomb.
Another one.
And, on that note, here's the end of the post!  (See how clever that is? Z and Bran and Nuala walking away... the end of the post... I know... I'm good...)  We had a blast, and still love, love, LOVE Turkey!  We got back home around bedtime. Turkey is a lot... better put together than Bulgaria.  The roads are wonderful, the infrastructure is great, people seem happier and nicer. Things work well.  All that said, it was nice crossing back into Bulgaria, because Bulgaria is home.  For 3 more weeks, anyway. 

12 comments:

Tara said...

The Blue Mosque looks so cool! And Maeve and her little friends are totally adorable. I love how interested all the kids are in the cats, despite all the other awesome stuff going on in Istanbul...I'm interested to see if Maeve is as big of a hit in Japan as she has been there, it's so nice of y'all to let her be passed around and photographed so much! Poor Bran, with the bird poo...I'm glad you had a fun trip!

Anonymous said...

That was a nice tour you gave me of some of Istanbul ... I love the view from the boat of the Blue Mosque and the Hagia Sophia... all those tall towers and domes... Looks like you had nice blue sky too ... and fun to share it with friends ... esp little friends to play with ... heehee little M gets in the pics of the tour group ... she seems used to the attention :) Nice pic of that young man holding her ... and all her bling gifts ... Isn't it great that there are cats everywhere :) Ooh, I'd love to see the spice bazaar ... so colourful, and prob so aromatic too ... guess B just happened to be parked right under a bird! The pics of all of you are great ... like N dancing too! Imagine... your BYU teacher back in Istanbul (guess he's Turkish?) ... did you remember any of the language... prob not much, since you didn't get to practice it for 11 years. All those little coffins ... I am sure he had more than one mother for all those children, since it says HIS sons & daughters ... whew! Thanks for the trip.. it was great! Love, Mom (Dad too) xox

Megan and Greg said...

Wow, big post. Where to begin. The doner kabobs- oh man I miss those. That is a treasure in europe. The bird poo on Bran! So funny! And Maeve, cute as ever- always. I saw Istanbul on the today show once for some special and ever since I've really wanted to go.

fiona said...

Yep, he's Turkish, Mom, his wife's American. And I did remember just bits and pieces of the language. You know, just phrases that had stuck in my head... numbers... things like that. But I did try to use what I knew! Ekmek var mi? (That means, "is there bread?" I never needed that one, actually... Bilmiyorum... that means "I don't know"... yeah, stuff like that!

Elle Emme said...

I love that picture of Ivy and Maeve as well. It's a nice juxtaposition of colors that they are wearing. One has pink on top and blue on bottom and vice versa. Also, the Medusa picture. Such a sense of humor. Nuala dancing. Since I am not a fan of traveling, it is wonderful to learn more from you. Thanks for sharing.

Grandma said...

The tombs are kinda of creepy. The bird poop was a great shot! great aiming on the birds part. Bran, Nuala, and Mauve are always my favorite pictures. The last shot of watching them walk away with Dad makes me smile.

Rob and Erin Smith said...

Another awesome trip!! Even better with good friends. That's so cool your professor was the BP! Small world indeed! I love that pic of Maeve and her little friend by the doors, sooo cute!

lizlarry.anderson said...

I just love the pictures of your kids. You have such darling and sweet, truly genuine kids, Fiona (& Zach!). I remember when you guys came to visit us a few years ago, I just thought your kids were so great! Glad you're having fun and conquering the world with all your great adventures:)

Susan said...

Best post ever!!! How did I miss this?? Love and miss you guys tons :)

Unknown said...

I'm a Mormon college student traveling abroad to Istanbul this summer! I came across your blog when trying to look up information on the Branch in Istanbul. Did you attend the branch at all while in Turkey? Do you happen to have any contact information with members there that I could get in touch with? Thanks so much!

fiona said...

Hi Maddy! How fun that you get to be in Istanbul this summer! We LOVE Turkey! Istanbul, for sure, but we also got to go to Cappadocia, which was one of our *favorite* trips/adventures (can't call them "vacations" when you have little kiddos along, haha...) ever. I'm excited for you! And yes, I have contact info for the Branch President and his wife. Well, on facebook. Are you on Facebook? I'll go look you up. There's an LDS Istanbul group that I'll add you to, if so... If not, I'll get some contact info and get that to you...

Unknown said...

I actually just got added to the Facebook group a few days after I found your blog! Everyone seems very kind and helpful in the ward. Thanks so much anyways!