Wednesday, February 29, 2012

Zermatt

Beginning the climb up to Gornergrat on the Gornergrat bahn, looking at Zermatt town and the Matterhorn above

My wonderful wife allowed me to meet my friend Mike (who flew in much farther then me, all the way from Seattle) in Zermatt, Switzerland for a long weekend of skiing in February. Zermatt is just amazing... size, terrain, food etc. it's a skiing experience that once you've had, you can't help but measure against every ski trip thereafter. I had wanted to ski Zermatt since I was a kid. I always had one of those seemingly unrealistic plans for a ski trip to Zermatt... two years ago I finally went for the first time with my brother inlaw Rob. However, one time was just not enough...

Mike and Z looking at the Matterhorn from Hohtalli

Z coming down from Gornergrat

If it says off limits in Switzerland it usually means you will die, all other off piste is otherwise encouraged

Z coming out of the trees and boulder field into a nice powder run

Mike on one of the airbag's

Klein Matterhorn and the Matterhorn in the distance

Here is a little video of Mike and I made with the helmet cam Fiona got me for Christmas:

5 comments:

fiona said...

You and Mike have REALLY cool wives... y'all totally owe them big-time! I'm glad you had such a great trip. It sounds wonderful and looks beautiful. Rad video, too. ;) You and Mike are hot stuff on the slopes! And you're so cute, dressed all matchy-matchy...

pauline said...

We loved all the pictures, but the video was completely amazing! What a beautiful place. I want to to there (maybe). It looked like it was so nice and smooth a lot of the time, but then there were those obstactles ... in and out between trees and BIG rocks!!! I can't believe you didn't crash at all! It was a "totally awesome" video ...
Who was wearing the camera?
Thanks for sharing! Love, Mom (Dad too) xox

pauline said...

... I want to GO there ...

Tara said...

You guys do have such nice wives! Seriously, it looks like you had such a fun time, what a beautiful place to ski and stuff. That helmet camera takes such good video, too, you actually made me want to try some snow sports again sometime ;)

Grandma said...

amazing!! It is like some travel show on TV. Fantastic video and absolutely beautiful scenery. Love you Mom