Tuesday, April 26, 2011

Easter

It's hard to NOT think about new life and rebirth at Easter time, especially when you're surrounded by small children and all the evidences of springtime, bathed in glorious sunlight. Of course Nuala and Bran were exceptionally excited about the Easter Bunny, and looking for eggs, etc., etc. BUT, it was also awesome to see how excited they were about the REAL reason for Easter.

There was an activity in the Friend, which is a children's magazine put out by our church that we get in the mail each month (the kids love it! So do I), where eight days before Easter we read about what Christ did on that day (Here's a link to the online version). We did that each evening until Easter, and it was really great. We even made a little calendar and crossed off each day until His resurrection. Bran especially was into it. We used the lovely pictures from the Gospel Art Kit to illustrate what was going on, and B would sit there just staring at the pic asking question after question. He knows the stories quite well, but he was still very sad when Christ was crucified (but also morbidly curious, of course. He is a 4-yr old boy, after all. Or I should just say, he is HUMAN...), and they were both excited when they woke up Easter morning and realized it was the day He was resurrected.
Next year I plan to do this cool Easter walk. It's a book, but I found out about it on my friend's friend's blog (yep, a blog that's only ONCE removed... I've made it to some crazy places blog-hopping... you know, stuff like: my sister's husband's cousin's old roomate's home teacher's aunt... yeah...). Anyway, it sounds like a wonderful tradition, and I'm totally getting the book for next year. You can read about it on her blog (her name's Catherine and she's a terrific writer), but here's the gist of it (copied from...her blog...):
---------------------------------------------------------------------
Rowley's book tells the tender story of a young family who recently lost their mother. Their Grandfather starts a thoughtful tradition that the children look forward to each year. He takes them on an Easter walk and they look for "treasures" that tell the story of the Savior's last week - a journey that reminds them they will see their mother again.
If you'd like to do your own Easter Walk, here are the six clues. You can make up your own clues if you'd like - you don't need Rowley's book - but I must say it's been a lovely addition to our library.
Clue 1: Mark 15:17 - Something pointed and sharp to represent the crown of thorns.
Clue 2: John 19:17-18 - Something made of wood to represent the cross.
Clue 3: Luke 23:46 - Something dead to represent the Savior's death.
Clue 4: Luke 23: 44-45, 3 Nephi 8:23 - Something dark to represent the darkness in Jerusalem and in America.
Clue 5: Mark 15:46 - Something hard and round to represent the stone placed in front of the tomb.
Clue 6: Matthew 28:5-6 - Something alive to represent that Jesus Christ is alive again.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Pretty neat, eh? Link to Catherine's Easter Walk post here, and link to book on Amazon here.
Of course, we also had an egg free-for-all after church. With only Bran and Nuala battling it out, it didn't get too crazy. Mostly because we have a pret-ty big backyard and we "encouraged" Bran to focus on one side and Nuala on the other. Next year I think we should put the eggs in one big pile and see who emerges with the fewest injuries... kidding! I kid. Maeve only went all territorial on the actual egg she was holding... screamed like a little pterodactly when I tried to convince her to put it in her basket and pick up another. Then she decided she COULD pick up another because, you know... she DOES have two hands. But that was that. Life was complete.
Bran on the prowl...
Nuala, in almost the same spot as Bran above, but, sadly for her and her basket, at a later time. We just divided the eggs all up at the end anyway.
Their little Easter baskets. Not too elaborate... a few chocolates and a little toy each, but they were thrilled with them. I'm pretty sure if we were in the States I would do more for them basket-wise, so it's probably a good thing we're over here. Low expectations make for happy kids, yeah? ;) But alas, I'm old enough to know what I'm missing and I had not ONE single Peep nor Cadbury's Egg this year. Sigh. There are worse things in life, I'm sure, but not by much... We actually did send the tykes on a treasure hunt for a new game and a little doll each later. One of those hunts where I just drew a picture of... the trampoline, so they ran there and found another little picture... the trash can... etc. etc., until they got to their gifts. It was fun. They've now been drawing ME little clues to go find treasures! Sometimes guessing what has been drawn as my destination is a bit dicey, I will admit... but I'm a lucky mom! We also had the missionaries over for Easter dinner, so that was a bonus.
Ha! I was sooo bemoaning the fact that I'm a slacker and not only did NOT get my girls MATCHING dresses for Easter, but did not get my children ANY new clothes at all. Then, Sunday morning I remembered that my mom had sent some little matchy dresses for N & M and that I'd been waiting till Easter to break 'em out! Yay! See? I wasn't a slacker! Obviously I was subconsciously mindful of the fact that I did, indeed, have everything under control. Again, I say "Ha!" Victoriously!
And just to see Maeve stretched out. Because she's so pretty in her little dress. And looks so dang OLD. My big little girl! I'm grateful for our little family, and for our Savior, and His Atonement and Resurrection, both of which make it possible for us to have joy in this life and the next. We can be with our loved ones again! He lives. He conquered death, and we will, too. Happy Easter, everyone!

6 comments:

Megan and Greg said...

Cute pics. If I'd known about the the lack of Cadbury eggs, I would've sent you some! No one should go through life that way. It's as good as Christmas!

David said...

That was really a nice post about Easter ... I love how you have made the real reason as the big part of the picture, and it makes it very worthwhile when the little rascals absorb it. Sounds like a fun treasure hunt you listed with those scriptures! Oh, the children look gorgeous, and big happy smiles :) Mom & Dad look great too. I love the pics of The Saviour you posted! Oh, look at your flowery trees ... the clusters of flowers are beautiful ... not plum trees? I think plum tree flowers'd be different. Thanks ... it was so nice ... love, Mom (Dad too) xox

Tara said...

I really love those ideas for teaching/celebrating Easter! And the kiddos are just so adorable, I love all the pics. The dresses are too cute, I'm glad you remembered them! Love that pic of Bran relaxing against Zac, it's so cute. Maeve is just so sweet and smiley, no wonder everyone on your travels thought she was so wonderful!

Rob and Erin Smith said...

Those are great ideas! Thanks for sharing, I intend to go to the links after I comment, because I too get caught in blog hopping traps. I love that you put their baskets by a picture of Christ coming forth from the tomb. That is such a beautiful, sweet full length picture of Maeve! Seriously! Those girls are so cute and matchy! Way to go Mom, and Fiona too, I guess ;0) You got some super cute family pictures in the back yard! Haha, Bran on the prowl, classic... I love the picture of Maeve and the blossoms! She is looking so big and I was just beginning to think that about Aoife too. So sad and happy... Happy Easter!

Aislinn said...

Wonderful balance for Easter! Way to emphasize the real meaning for them. <3 I think your baskets look perfect! Maeve looks soooo big in the full length pic! The matching dresses are adorable and Bran looks smashing too, of course. Love the hunting pics...looks like they had a blast! :)

Sara said...

"Low expectations make for happy children" - my motto!

I love the Easter walk idea - which was shared with me from the same blog. WONDERFUL idea.

It's so hard to balance the "cool" part of Easter with the "real" Easter - and I realized this year kids aren't too little to appreciate the real as much as the fun.