Monday, January 10, 2011

bits and pieces of December...

This'll be the last December post, and it's only January 10th! Not bad, not bad... we even got our Christmas stuff down on Sunday, and it was only the 9th. I know, we're awesome! But I wanted to post a little bit more about December...
First, here's the nativity scene Nuala drew. I'm in love with it. Simple... to the point... just Mary, Joseph, and Baby Jesus in the manger. And a star. It has earned a place in our permanent Christmas decoration collection. Bran would not draw a nativity scene. The closest he got was a Christmas tree floating in space near a huge alien and a smaller alien in a spaceship. I should post that one, too.

(I wanted to add in here that Nuala did her drawing all on her own. Well, I showed her earlier how to make a star like that, she'd been doing them just like an X or a cross, and I just showed her that a couple of more lines made it more star-like. And she asked how to draw Mary's hair and I just said that sometimes Mary had her hair covered up, so that's what she did. And I love Joseph's toes! :)

We went to Vienna the second weekend in December to enjoy the Christmas markets. Yeah, they were great. It was beautiful, and the food... mmmmm... the food was amazing. I mean, we pretty much ate bratwursts every day, but like I said: Amazing. Each evening Z and I would say, "uuuhhhg...no more bratwursts!" And then what would we eat the next day as soon as we got to the market? Yep, another brat. The ones with little tiny pieces of cheese inside them. "Kaaswurst" in Belgium (well, in Dutch), but something else here. Oh, they were heavenly. We also drank a lot of kinderpunch, an apple cider-type drink, and ate some delicious pastries.
Pastries from here! Look at all those! It was so festive, and sooooo...delicious. Oh man, just looking at this picture has me wanting more. We'd buy 3 or 4 things and share them. The best was bringing them back to our apartment to fully enjoy after the kids went to bed. Shhhh! Don't tell 'em... it was for their own good, and for OUR own good, too... Yummmm. Alright, we usually saved them a bite or two. And they got a bunch of candy, so they weren't too deprived.
Beautiful, huh?!
There were fun activities for the kids, too. They LOVED making cookies. This cost 1.50 Euro, and they got to make as many cookies as they wanted. At the end they got a little baggie-full of the tiny sugar cookies, and actually just yesterday I ate the last one. Only because the baggies were squirreled away in "safe" places by the little hoarders. But they were still quite tasty!
Here's Nuala fire-poling on the apartment stairs. The embassy in Vienna will rent out the apartments it has available for TDY-ers (people assigned there temporarily) if there's no one using them, so we had a two bedroom, two-floor full apartment for a good price. We did NOT rent a car, which we always do, and we had fun riding the trams around. We shoulda rented a car, anyway, we decided, but it was all good. We rode a little train around, and a horse-drawn carriage. Maeve waved out the window to everyone yelling, "chau!" It was cute.
We went to the Natural History Museum, too. It was in such a beautiful building, but I didn't really get any pics of that. Maeve's favorite exhibit was this little stuffed dog. Yes, a real dog. I can't remember who it belonged to, but these three spent many minutes examining it.
Bran and Nuala had fun frolicking underneath the mastadon. They (especially Bran) were sooo thrilled to see the dinosaur skeletons. They had an awesome time there! We need to get 'em out to museums more often. Nuala really liked the gem area, and they both liked the poor skinned camels. There was an exhibit like the one that's been going around where you see the muscles, etc. of real bodies. Just like they've been skinned. Oh, what was that called?? Okay, I'll google it... hold on a sec... Oh, okay. Originally enough, it's called "Bodies: The Exhibition". But yeah, so there was a section of the museum full of animals like that, but we didn't pay extra to go to it. Just looked at the camels displayed out front to lure you in. And they were enough. Nuala and Bran were really rather fascinated by the camels, a big one and a baby one.
The weekend before Vienna, we went to Lopyan orphanage/boarding school with some embassy folk again. This is us parked at a gas station on the way there, meeting up with some of the group. We had the Rudolph movie on, and Maeve looked so cute, perched there watching it, too, munching on her bag of puffs. Thinks she's a big kid or something!
This little guy was in my previous post, and he was just as happy and loving again. AND, he has a little brother there who looks exactly like him. The kids were all having fun coloring together. That's Bran in the army green hoodie.
Maeve was still a hit. Of course! I'm not biased or anything, but the babe is pretty darn cute. The kids were so sweet with her. They really are nice, nice children.
This little sweetheart! I've forgotten her name, and I feel so badly about it, but it's difficult for me to remember all the names I'm bombarded with, especially in a different language. It was lovely, something like Letya, but not... She was the first little girl whose nails I painted. That went over quite well, too, but I didn't get to do everyone who wanted them done. I ended up leaving the polish with some of the older girls to man, and next time I'll break it out earlier.
The neatest part of this visit was after the little Christmas goody bags were passed out. The fellow who organizes all this, David, is great. He and his wife put together little bags with some candy and small toys for the children. They were so excited! Nuala and I were walking past a group of kids who had just received their bags, and one of the little boys was joyfully smacking on a piece of candy. As we walked towards him, he stuck his little hand into his bag and pulled out the couple of pieces he had left, offering them to Nuala and I. I wanted to cry. I smiled and pointed at him, telling him thank you, and letting him know he could keep them, but I was so touched by his generosity. He really had nothing, but was so willing to share what little he had, his new and exciting treats, with us. People who have MORE than we need. That was just very powerful to me.
That day was the day of the Flood. It was crazy-rain. This is the road up to the road to our house. We didn't get flooded at all, since we're on the side of the mountain and it all ran past us and flooded the streets below, but several of our friends had problems and many streets were closed. Now of course there's snow everywhere, but that was some major rain.

7 comments:

Tara said...

Okay, Nuala's nativity is seriously the cutest thing. I'm still impressed with their writing abilities, too. Vienna sounds awesome! Mmmm, now I want bratwurst...cute pics of the cookie making, and Maeve does look sooo cute watching Rudolph and eating puffs! Aww, that little guy offering y'all his candy is so sad and sweet, I'm glad you were able to go back to the orphanage.

Grandma said...

Beautiful pics! Wow the flood is amazing especially since I have been there and know what the streets look like. oh how much fun it must have been to get to cook those cookies. Such a terrific experience and so cute in their caps and aprons.
The Stuffed dog was kind of creepy. Christmas shopping looked so pretty. Love Grandma Buttons

fiona said...

Yeah, the dog was a bit creepy to me, too... I wanted to point out that Nuala did her drawing all on her own. Well, I showed her earlier how to make a star like that, she'd been doing them just like an X or a cross, and I just showed her that a couple of more lines made it more star-like. And she asked how to draw Mary's hair and I just said that sometimes Mary had her hair covered up, so that's what she did :)

pauline said...

Hi there ... I too love the nativity scene...good job Nuala! (LOL at Joseph's toes!) Hee hee... Bran's space tree! Oh Vienna looked wonderful, and all those yummy treats! N&B are so cute in their little baker's outfits making the cookies! and yes, Maeve is engrossed in her Rudolph movie, isn't she! I have wiped my eyes from the orphanage stories now... such sweet little children... I am glad you get the chance to visit them when you do ... it's like the starfish, it makes a difference to that one (or two, etc...). Thanks for sharing! Love, Mom (Dad too) xox

Mike said...

What a great Christmastime!!! I love Nuala's drawing, she did a great job! Only when I saw it I initially thought, The Star, Mary, Jesus, and The Scarecrow...

Dan said...

Cute little bakers

Rob and Erin Smith said...

That made me cry too! What a super sweet little guy! I'm so glad y'all got to go do that! And Nuala's nativity is Awesome! The Christmas market looks Fantastic! Yummm! I totally Love the rudolph pic with Maeve so intent! They are soooo cute! Bran man looks like he's taking special care with those cookies, haha! What an awesome December!